Fisher-Price Rainforest Play Yard Recall, Um Yea.

rainforestrecallfischerprice3

Update: We received a $100 check a few weeks after sending in the fabric!

Fisher-Price Recalls Simplicity’s Rainforest™ Portable Play Yards Due to Fall and Entrapment Hazards

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Rainforest™ Portable Play Yards manufactured by Simplicity Inc. and SFCA Inc.

Units: About 200,000

Manufacturer: Simplicity Inc. and SFCA Inc., of Reading, Pa.

(Note: Simplicity Inc. and SFCA Inc. have not responded to CPSC’s request to recall these products nor have they been responsive to consumer complaints recently received.)

Hazard: One or more rails can collapse unexpectedly, posing a fall or entrapment hazard to young children.

Incidents/Injuries: Due to Simplicity Inc. and SFCA Inc. being unresponsive to consumers via their Hotline and Web site, a significant number of complaints were recently reported. There have been at least 1,350 reports of one or more rails collapsing. There were numerous reports of children receiving bumps and bruises when the side rail collapsed. There were five reports of injuries which included a broken nose, a broken wrist, a mild concussion, a cut to the hand which required stitches, and a chipped tooth.

Description: The recalled play yards are portable and were sold with a bassinet, changing table, and mobile features. The products have a Rainforest™ patterned fabric, Rainforest themed artwork and bear the “Fisher-Price” logo. The Simplicity Inc. model numbers are 5310 RNF, 5310RNFC, and 5310RNFW. The model number is located on a sticker on one of the legs underneath the play yard.

Sold at: Retailers and specialty children’s stores nationwide from January 2007 through January 2009 for about $100.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the play yards immediately. Although it did not manufacture or sell the play yards, Fisher-Price has voluntarily agreed to assist consumers who own the products. Consumers who own one of the recalled play yards with the Fisher-Price logo should contact Fisher-Price to obtain assistance to replace their play yards.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Fisher-Price at (800) 432-5437 anytime or visit the Web site at http://www.service.mattel.com
(source)

rainforest recall fischer-price

The irony: After finding out about the recall, I grabbed one side of the play yard and put a little pressure on it…it collapsed and broke. I was trying to show Greg that it seemed sturdy. Um yea. Recall much needed.

rainforest recall fischer-price

We are shipping the faulty rails THE FABRIC (was confused by illustration) off to Fisher-Price in exchange for a $100 check. As for the remains, they are trash. To keep dumpster divers (nothing wrong with that, btw) from using a recalled product, I wrote all over it.

rainforest recall fischer-price

Farewell beloved play yard, it’s been fun.

25 Responses to Fisher-Price Rainforest Play Yard Recall, Um Yea.

1. tami lewis says:

praise God you found out before a tragedy happened!!! i too love the writing!

2. Alaina says:

I love how you wrote all over it!

3. Alisa N. says:

We have so many FP Rainforest items but thankfully NOT this one.

4. Sheliza says:

Oh my this was the same playpen I wanted for William but opted for a cheaper one. I hate that that happened! I guess you will get a new one to replace the defective one. Thank goodness lil man did not get hurt!

5. Marcia says:

Thank you for sharing this recall information. I had no idea this could ever happen to this play yard. My brother has the same one for his daughter. Thanks to you I will be able to pass the warning memo to him.

6. Dee says:

ugh….I read about this a few days ago. Mine is sitting behind me as I type. It hasnt broken in the 17 months that I’ve had it……and its so cute! Guess I need to get a new one for this baby!

7. Earth’s Best Savings And Our Gift To One Lucky Baby! | Mommy Daddy Blog says:

[...] Earth’s Best products and Fisher Price toys and baby gear. Now some of you may know about the play yard incident, I am disappointed about the recall, but that doesn’t make me anti-Fisher Price. Click here [...]

8. tami lewis says:

go see my blog- i have an award for you!

9. kristin says:

Oh no! How ironic huh..

10. Alice says:

I liked how you wrote all over it because other people could care less. I bought this for my son but he could not use it. He has to be in a separate room from my two year old thank God. If he used it I’am afraid it would already collapsed because he rock back and forth so he can sleep. Simplicity went out of business from what I read they got alot of complaints, and recalled items. No surprise this was coming unfortunetly I had no idea it came from Simplicity because you only see the Fisher Price logo on the front.

11. becca says:

Thank you so much for posting this! We have one and I had no idea it had been recalled. It broke (possibly) the second time we used it.. and I thought it was my fault! We’re totally looking forward to that $100 check… :)

12. [...] a few months ago, we had to get rid of Boogie’s Fisher-Price Rainforest Play Yard because it had been recalled. This time, it’s our coffeemaker. We’re not big coffee drinkers, so we never use the [...]

13. Sharon says:

Did you get a check that can be used on anything or does it have to be fisher price. I don’t think fisher price makes pack n play anymore.

14. AndyJoy says:

Thanks so much for the information! I just bought one for $25 at a garage sale THIS MORNING. I was cruising the Internet to see what a good deal I got, and thanks to your blog discovered that I will get $75 back!

15. Danielle says:

I bought one of these play pens and it collapsed as I was using the change table, luckily I had all my son’s collection of stuffed animals in right to the top and he had a soft landing but it scared him pretty good as well as me, and I had no idea they were doing a recall on them for this reason I thought it was myself or husband that had done something improper to it causing it to break like this.

16. Inna & Bob says:

We recieved a playard as a gift. It has collapsed several times. This is pretty scary the way we trust the Chinese to build our childrens products. Is it really worth it?

Any how, what do they want, just the cloth? Can we cut with scissors? They say that they want “examine the side panels” yet the steel frame and joints are the issue.

17. Kathy says:

Hello,
    I yesterday cut out all four side panels and going to mail it in today, question has anyone recieved the $100.oo check in the mail yet?? Thanks, Kathy

18. J From Oklahoma says:

So glad I found this. Was about to sale it on Craigslist.com when I saw this. I am getting back at least $50.00 more then I was going to ask, but the best part is thankfully nothing happened to my daughter. She used it for over 1 year, we noticed how the sides collapsing, just thought we had bumped into the button when we were putting here in.

19. Angie says:

I'm SO glad I did a search online to find out what these were selling for used. Because I stumbled upon the government website showing the recall and now I'm getting my $100 too! I called Fisher Price and Simplicity back in 2008 a number of times to no avail. Fisher Price said I had to talk to Simplicity and Simplicity kept insisting I wasn't clicking both sides, though I'd done it on the phone with them. Or that I'd moved it or whatever. It fell once with the baby inside but ALL the time with NO ONE around. I'd written this one off but now I'm getting $100 back. YES!

20. Angie says:

Cutting the cloth is 1) a way to prove you DO have the playpen without them having to spend the cost to send the entire thing back to Fisher Price and 2) makes sure no one else will use the playpen since the fabric's all missing. They already know all about why the bars are breaking.

21. Angie says:

By the way, you've got a beautiful family. Love the photo in the top right corner. It's sweet and tender. If I tried that with my family, everyone would be looking every which way or bickering. *sigh*

22. Amy says:

I was also wondering if anyone has received the check yet and how it’s made out. Is it a check for cash or is it just a gift check for fisher price products? Thanks so much for posting this. A friend gave me this one when I was pregnant but we lost the baby and I’m trying to get the stuff out of my house. I was going to yard sale it and looked online to see how much it was so I would know about how much to sell it for, when I ran across your post. I’m so glad I didn’t sell this to another Mommy to use!

23. Sara says:

I have this play yard and i never paid too much attention to the recall since I have a 6ft 300 lb husband who leaned on the rails all the time and it never colapssed. But I did return the side panels for a refund and it has been over 6mths. Is there anyone else having trouble getting their check?

24. Sony Pandey says:

Does anyone know what do they mean by 4 side panel (just the fabric or rails too). Very confused!!! Please help!!!

25. Wow, indeed recall much needed. Nice you got the $100 back. By the way, you have a very nice blog.
    .-= Graco Pack’n Playard´s last blog ..Graco Pack N Play Playard =-.